Do some research to determine which rose type will work best for your needs. Vertical interest can be created with fragrant climbing roses, and accented with miniature roses along borders. Potted roses are great for patios and apartment balconies, or even tabletops. A rose collection adds fragrance to your garden and an abundance of blooms for bouquets. The rose types below offer all the beauty without much fuss:
- Hybrid Teas - By far the most popular, these roses have large, fragrant flowers on long stems ideal for cutting. The tall, upright bush forms qualify them as ideal specimens or accents. They also work well in group plantings. Protect them in regions where winters are severe.
- Floribundas - Carefree, colorful plants that bloom from spring through the fall. Low and bushy, they're naturally disease-resistant and considered the mainstays of the landscape. Use them in shrub borders, mixed perennial beds or in containers.
- Grandifloras - A hardy cross between hybrid teas and floribundas, these plants make excellent tall screens and provide an abundance of cut flowers. Some types bear one bloom per stem, others produce clusters.
- Climbing Roses - Cover a fence, trellis or arbor by anchoring the graceful, long canes of these hardy selections. They'll grow to 20' and longer, perfect for framing an entry, accenting a pillar or wall, or even covering a slope.
- Shrub Roses - From low-growing groundcovers to hedge-type shrubs, these hardy roses offer low-maintenance, long-lasting beauty in a variety of landscape settings.
- Patio Tree Roses - Perfect accents for small spaces, these roses provide extravagant color and an almost endless variety of uses. Try one as an accent for an entry, patio or landscape. Use several to line a walkway, drive or bed.
- Miniatures - Upright, climbing and trailing forms that mimic their bigger cousins. Miniatures are fun and easy to grow. You can even use them indoors in a bright window. Outdoors, plant them in containers or in groups in the garden. Stagger them in rows for a soft, rounded effect.